9. s.+ link verb+gerund
A. 动名词(短语)作表语,实际上是主语内容的延伸。例:
My hobby is collecting butterflies.我的业余爱好是收集蝴蝶。
The trouble was their living too far away from school. 麻烦是他们住的离学校太远。
What upset us was mother's going abroad. 使我们感到不安的是母亲到国外去。
B. 动名词(短语)与不定式(短语)作表语没有严格的区别,它们常常互换:
My task was getting / to get everything ready before six o'clock. 我的任务是在六点钟前把一切准备好。
但由于动名词有抽象意义,而不定式有具体意义,因而当我们泛指或指经常性动作时,倾向于用动名词;指某次具体的动作时,倾向于用不定式。试比较:
My favourite winter sport is skating. 我最喜爱的冬季运动是溜冰。
The only thing I did yesterday was to go skating. 我昨天做的唯一的一件事就是去溜冰。
另外,当主语是动名词,表语也用动名词;主语是不定式,表语也用不定式:
Reading is learning, and applying is also learning.
To read is to learn, and to apply is also to learn.
读书是学习,应用也是学习。
10.s.+ link verb+that clause
My feeling is that you ought to stay at home tonight. 我觉得你今晚应该留在家里。
The trouble with photography is that it's an expensive hobby. 摄影爱好不好的地方在于它花费太大了。
What is undoubtedly true is that he was not an easy man to do with. 毫无疑问与他共同生活并不容易。