I.Purposes
Can you speak English?
Are you able to drive?
Are you capable of managing a department store?
这些都是有关“能力”的话题。能力俗称“本事”,指一个人处理某一事情或应对某一事件所具有的个人素质。工人制造机器是一种能力,农民生产粮食也是一种能力;老师向学生传授知识是一种能力,学生把所学知识用于实践也是一种能力;运动员将球踢进球门是一种能力,科学家将卫星和飞船送入太空更是一种能力。但无论做什么,都是为人民服务,为祖国出力。
汉语中关于“能力”的词语不少,诸如“能说会道”、“能文能武”、“能者为师”、“能者多劳”、“能屈能伸”等都是有关“能力”的描述。那么英语中有关“能力”的说法,你知道多少呢?
II.Summary of useful expressions
(A)询问某人能否做某事(asking if somebody is able to do something)
Can you speak English fluently?你能流利地讲英语吗?
Do you know anything about auto-management?你懂自动化管理吗?
Do you know how to do business with foreigners?你知道如何与外国人做生意吗?
Do you think you have the abilities to run a big farm?你认为你有能力经营一个大农场吗?
Are you capable of covering 100 metres in 10seconds?你能在10秒钟内跑完 100米吗?
Are you good at making computer cartoons?你擅长用电脑制作漫画吗?
(B)表示某人有或没有能力做某事(stating somebody is able or not able to do something)
I can play the guitar.我会弹吉他。
He knows how to deal with complicated situations.他知道如何应对复杂的局面。
I know something about international laws.我懂一点国际法。
The child is able to recite many English poems from memory.这孩子能背诵很多英语诗。
Playing the piano is not too difficult tome.弹钢琴对我来说并不太难。
I have the abilities to persuade him to change his mind.我有能力说服他改变主意。
I'm afraid we can't finish the task on schedule.恐怕我们不能按时完成这项任务。
Sorry,I'm not able to swim.对不起,我不会游泳。
I don't feel able to climb up the mountain.我觉得没能力登上这座山。
I don't think I have the abilities to act as chairman of the conference.我觉得我不具备主持这个会议的能力。
I'm afraid I have no experience in organizing mass activities.恐怕我没有组织集体活动的经验。
III.Background information
美国人崇尚自由,鼓励个人奋斗和能力发展。因此父母非常注意培养孩子的能力,从小就对他们进行独立生活以及生存能力的培养和训练。所以,美国的孩子动手能力强,具有丰富的想像力和创造力。这是美国社会得以高速发展,在科技领域始终领先世界潮流的根本所在。在那儿,几乎人人都充满自信,都会说“I'm the best.”“I'm sure of myself.”公司老板对那些敢说“I think I'm fit for the position best.”“I'm sure to do the work well.”的应聘者会格外青睐,对那些一年内三次跳槽(job-hopping)的人更是信任有加,认为那是有能力的体现。可是在中国,谦虚是传统的美德。